Whiterock Weyr

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whiterock Weyr

A dragon adoption game based on Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.

Vaioa Weyr

VaioaAdm

Vaioa Weyr Empty Vaioa Weyr

Post  VaioaAdm Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Vaioa Weyr Vaioaweyrbanner2

Shortly after the Third Pass, Masterminer Vaoia took advantage of the freedom from Thread to start searching for new deposits of ores and gems. Now that shelter was not as important, he took a team and went to explore the expanse of the Igen desert.

Of the places he searched, one of the most promising sites was in the mountains at the southern edge of the desert. A crater had formed with the collapse of a volcanic magma chamber, revealing veins of copper in the rock. Samples of this ore proved it to be of exceptional quality, and a survey of the crater showed a reliable water source and natural caverns that could easily be expanded for a minehold. Even the remains of the old volcanic cone had numerous pockets, though most of them would be more suitable for dragon weyrs than miner rooms.

450 Turns later, as Pern started gearing up for the Fifth Pass, Igen Weyr was filled past its capacity. There was nowhere for these extra riders to go, since with the increased clutch sizes the other Weyrs were nearing full as well. In searching where these riders could be sent, somebody stumbled across the report on the crater discovered by Vaioa. The sketches of the old cone showed it to be an ideal place for a Weyr, and several riders went to investigate.

The old mine, abandoned because of bandit attacks not long after it had been started, was well suited for a new Weyr, and construction began immediately. The Weyr was named Vaioa, after its discoverer, and took over patrol of the Igen penninsula south of Katz Field. The first few years were difficult, between adjusting to the more intense climate, the return of Thread, and most of the dragons weyring in the mine until their weyrs could be carved, but the Weyr adapted and grew.

Eventually it was realized that the proximity of the dragonriders would cut down on the bandit activity, and the mine was reopened. The dragonriders were pleased to have something to do - while they could not take on a larger territory to protect because of the stress it would put on the small Weyr, they were growing bored. The protection of the mine and the soon-formed Vaioa Hold, where the miners lived, provided an easy but important job.

Today, Vaioa is a moderate-sized Hold, large for one in the desert, with the income from the mine and the growing of desert plants for incense, medicine, and spices more than enough to purchase enough fresh food to supplement their subsistence farming.

The Weyr has blossomed as well, boasting a roster of nearly two hundred riders and having taken more of the region under their wings. The mine guard is kept, but only the Weyrleaders and a few Wingleaders take the job seriously, as there have been no raids for nearly fifty Turns. As our roleplay starts, the former Weyrleaders have retired, leaving leadership in the hands of the well-trained but inexperienced junior queenrider, and the dawning Red Star is a sign that her chance to ease into the role is already over...

Available Characters:

• Bronzeriders, brownriders, and riders of non-canon dragons

• Wingseconds and -thirds, Weyrlingmaster, Searchriders

• Headwoman, Master Crafters, Mining Engineers
    Possible Future Plots

• A queenflight to determine the new Weyrleader

• The start of a Pass and the return of thread

• Mine guarding and bandit attacks

• Flash floods and sand storms
    Want to know more? Come pay us a visit!

Vaioa Weyr Vaioaredstar5

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 am